Isn’t the internet the most important part of our day-to-day work? What exactly is the term internet? It is a global computer network that provides a wide range of information or data and media across various devices. The World Wide Web is one of the biggest services of the internet. Life without the internet is nearly impossible.
Come let’s find out the history and the advances that have come along from the 1960s till date.
1960’s – Although the internet as we know it did not emerge until much later, its history can be traced back to the 1960s. J.C.R. Licklider, an MIT computer scientist, proposes the concept of a global computer network in 1962. Work on packet-switching theory by Leonard Kleinrock, Thomas Merrill, and Lawrence G. Roberts paved the path for the world’s first wide-area computer network. Later, Roberts publishes a concept for the ARPANET, an ARPA-funded computer network that is launched in 1969.
1970’s – Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf collaborated in 1973 to create a protocol for connecting various networks. This later evolves into the Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), a technology that connects numerous networks such that if one goes down, the others don’t. Ted Nelson proposes utilizing hypertext to arrange network information over the following few years, and Unix becomes popular for TCP/IP networks.
1980’s – The Phone Net system is built in 1982 and is connected to ARPANET and Telnet, the first commercial network. This increases internet availability and enables email conversation across countries throughout the world. The Domain Name System, created by Paul Mockapetris, Jon Postel, and Craig Partridge, uses domain names to handle the growing number of internet users. The first domain is registered in 1985, and it belongs to a computer manufacturer: symbolics.com.
1990’s – ARPANET is deactivated in 1990. The World Wide Web is born when Tim Berners-Lee and his colleagues at CERN create the hypertext markup language (HTML) and the universal resource location (URL). 1995 is a milestone year for the internet: Microsoft releases Windows 95, Amazon, Yahoo, and eBay all launch, Internet Explorer is released, and Java is invented, allowing for website animation, and igniting a fresh frenzy of internet activity. In 1999, the first internet virus that could copy and disseminate itself to a user’s contact book was identified.
2000’s – The dot-com bubble rises and then bursts in the year 2000. While internet-based enterprises become commonplace, the Dow Jones industrial average experiences its largest one-day loss in history. Most publicly traded dot-com enterprises were vanished by 2001. Google’s spectacular rise to dominance of the search engine business in the 2000s. This decade also sees the emergence and spread of Wi-Fi (wireless internet communication), as well as mobile internet devices like smartphones and the first-ever internet cat video in 2005.
Ways of earning money online:
- Freelancing: Freelancing has long been a popular way to make money online, and there are many possibilities available on the Internet. There are several websites that provide freelance work to persons with a variety of expertise. All you must do is register, look through the advertisements, then apply for the job that interests you.
- Affiliate Marketing: Affiliate marketing is a type of marketing in which you. Once your website is up and running, you can use affiliate marketing to earn money by allowing companies to place links on it. This is a symbiotic relationship. You profit when visitors to your site buy products or services after clicking on such links.
- Survey, Search and Reviews: Various websites pay people to participate in online surveys, conduct online searches, and write product evaluations. To obtain credit, you must provide them with information, including your banking information. Therefore, you should proceed with caution when taking this option. Before working on projects, some of them may require you to register with them. The most important thing to keep in mind when working on such projects is to avoid websites that offer money that looks to be too good to be true. When assessing a website’s reputation, be cautious because many of them could be a fraud. Most websites promote businesses by displaying documents of cheque payments that may have merely been given to middlemen.
- Social Media Management and Strategy: Social networking services such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat can be used to make money in addition to communicating with friends and strangers. Companies and brands hire social media strategists to help them increase their product’s popularity. With so much competition and online viewers’ attention spans shortening all the time, innovation is required to develop blogs, videos, and other content that can go viral quickly and increase brand value. To stay current on social media, keep in mind that it takes time and effort. As a result, you must share posts on a frequent basis and communicate with your fans.
- Web Designing: Even if not all business owners are tech adept, having a website is a must nowadays. Those with a penchant for all things electronic, particularly websites, can earn money by assisting small businesses in creating their own websites. To create a website, you’ll need to know how to code and how to design it. Websites also require upkeep and frequent upgrades, which can increase revenue.
- Content Writing: Online platforms are an excellent place to start. One is compensated based on the quality of the content. It’s also possible that you’ll be requested to work on articles with instructions. To improve your revenue stream, carve out a specialty in your area of knowledge and create strength in that arena.
Now let’s look at how the business world has been impacted by the internet.
Internet in the Business World
- E-commerce also known as Electronic Commerce is a business activity of buying and selling goods and services online instead of buying or obtaining them physically from stores. With the use of Internet E-commerce came into being and today there are millions of businesses operating both on online platform and offline selling their goods and services. This way businesses have reached on global level and are dealing with customers across the world without a physical presence. To know about E-commerce business do have a look at the Robust World of Ecommerce article.
- Another classic example is how internet became a medium of promoting businesses to the rest of the world using Digital Marketing. The term digital marketing is a category of marketing that utilises digital technologies such as computers, mobile phones, and several platforms such as social media platforms to promote products and services. The main aim of digital marketing is created brand awareness, generate traffic, lead generation and management which then leads to customer loyalty and long-term relationships. Do read about the beginner’s guide to digital marketing to know about digital marketing!
- Online Banking is another prime example of how internet took over the banking sector. The online banking is technique used to carry out financial transactions via internet. It is also known as web banking or internet banking. It offers almost all banking facilities like deposits, withdrawals, transfers, and local bills.
- E-trading of stocks, nowadays trading of stocks is also carried out online. There is no need for any stockbroker or any commission to be paid while dealing with stocks it is all carried on online on various apps and stock market websites.
In conclusion, the Internet is one of the most important elements of our life because most of our life is carried out on the internet. You have pretty much understood how powerful the internet is, one of the positive sides of the internet is how it has shaped our world and brought the world closer together. Many people can connect and stay in contact with people living on the other side of the world. Social media platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter have enabled people to stay in contact with their loved ones. Without the internet, life would’ve surely been different.
To Read: The New Era for Instagram!