Table of contents
- What is web development?
- Web development as an industry
- What are the types of web development?
- What should an ideal web developer have?
- Is web designing and web development the same?
- What is a no-code movement?
- What are the advantages of no-code tools?
- What is the significance of web development?
With the emergence of the digital era, we saw a steep rise in the number of websites that are there on the world wide web. We ourselves go to at least one website daily. Have you ever wondered how these websites are full of life? These websites after creation are developed to make them most compatible for the users. For this, the websites have to undergo a process called web development.
What is web development?
Web development is the process through which a website is developed to make it optimum for the Internet, or in some cases the intranet. There are many tasks under this umbrella term. Web development can refer to developing a single page on a website that is static to a very complex web application. Web engineering, web content development, web server, security configuration, and there goes the list of the things under web development.
Web developers normally take up website building tasks that are non-design oriented. They do things like coding and writing markup.
Larger companies have a web development team consisting of more than a hundred people who work for developing websites. These web development teams follow a standard method of developing sites like Agile methodologies. On the other side, smaller companies will have a single or very small team of web developers. Some companies hire web developers for a contract to perform a secondary assignment like Graphic Design or to look after some technical issues in the information systems.
Web development assists in creating. To do a business available on Facebook, then designing a Facebook fan page is essential. The same approach is applicable to Instagram, Youtube, LinkedIn, and other visual platforms.
Web development works better when it is collaborative with other departments rather than making it a single definitive department.
Web development as an industry
With the advancements in the technological field, the internet and its services are spreading more than ever. With high reach, more websites have been commercialized. With this commercialization comes the development of the web development industry.
The important factor that has driven the growth of web development is the e-commerce platforms and digital marketing. Everybody is in a rush to mark their digital presence. Businesses are paving their way into the digital market to sell products to their customers and create a global target group for their business.
Berkeley DB, Glassfish, Perl/Plack, and LAMP stack which includes Linux, Apache, My SQL, and PHP, are some of the open-sourced software which can be used for web development. Due to the availability of this much software, the cost of web development cannot rise too high and is kept at bay. Adobe Dreamweaver, Blue Griffon, and Microsoft Visual Studio are some of the easy-to-use web developing software and have caused the rise of web developers in the industry.
With the availability of such open-sourced and user-friendly software, people who want to develop a website need to just know the basic knowledge of Hypertext Markup Language or any other programming language. With technological advancements came many tools and technologies which could be used to create dynamic and complex websites. Websites are made interactive with the help of these tools.
Website services are offered in applications and have opened opportunities to decentralize information and media services. With the rise in cloud services like DropBox, and iCloud, it became easier to retrieve information from any part of the world.
Ecommerce has brought a major change in the web development industry. Companies like eBay, and Amazon have brought significant changes in the shopping trends of people. People have now discovered the easiness of shopping online. The pandemic also has contributed to the widespread use of online shopping sites.
With the advancements in the web development field came blog and social networking platforms. Both have contributed enough to the communication field. Websites are now more than just shopping and content platforms, it has turned themselves into a virtual community of people connecting with each other, organizing events, and spending most of their day on these websites.
What are the types of web development?
We engage on many facilities on websites. For example, when we click on the filter options on shopping websites, we never think about what coding is behind the function. Web developers are behind the appearance and functioning of it, not just that option but that of the entire website.
Let us look at the different types of web developments.
Front-end web development
The front-end developers always keep themselves updated about the trends in web design and development to make sure they are not left behind. They also keep their knowledge up to date to make sure the users have the best experience while using the website they made. They should also keep in mind the security of the website.
Back-end web development
Back-end web development looks after the working of the website which includes building and maintaining codes. The codes are needed to connect the website to the web server. Properly coded websites are easier to use as the data flows properly into the websites. Java, My SQL, and PHP are some of the programming languages used for back-end development. Python and Golang are the new addition to the set of programming languages that could be used for coding.
Back-end web developers participate in meetings and communities to keep them updated about the coding technology. By participating in the communities, they also get tips for coding. They also can share their codes and offer support to people new to the field.
Full stack web development
Full stack web development is inclusive of front-end web development and back-end web development. They take care of both responsibilities. A full-stack web developer has to be responsible for all the facets of the website development, that is from the server side to the user interface. This depends on the complexity of the website they develop.
Full stack web developers may be specialized in a particular aspect of web development but with their experience, they are able to troubleshoot, speed up or build a design for the website. Full stack developers should look out for cutting-edge technologies like enhanced programming languages that have come out, and blockchain which could be used to strengthen the website’s business proficiencies.
What should an ideal web developer have?
Let us look at some of the important skills to be possessed by web developers if they want to excel in the field of web development.
Programming abilities: – A good web developer should be able to code well. They should have great knowledge of the programming languages like HTML, Java, CSS, and so on. Since programming is a part of technology, and technology is evolving at a faster pace today, they should also be a fast learner who keeps looking for newer technologies and mastering them.
- Attention to detail: – A good web developer should be able to be patient while looking out for any errors while fixing them. They should give attention to every tiny detail. And also testing and debugging takes a lot of time and require a lot of patience.
- Creative thinking: – To rank higher in search engine result pages, you must be visible to search engines. In order to attract users to your website, you also need to be creative with the website. A good web developer will be creative in bringing together the user experience along with search engine optimization and other factors to make it a good and attractive website.
Are web designing and web development the same?
No, web designing and web development are not the same. However, they are related.
The web designing team includes visual designers, UX designers, and others who use their skills to create wireframes, mockups, design systems, color palettes, and templates. Using this the web developers will create the website. The web developing team has front-end and back-end, web developers. The back-end web developers take care of the infrastructure of the website or web application like hosting and security. The front-end web developers take care of the functionality of the website or web application. Then there are full stack web developers who do the responsibilities of both front-end and back-end web developers.
What is a no-code movement?
The no-code movement is a movement that enables web developers to create software through a graphical interface instead of writing codes. The no-code movement is a rising trend helping non-programmers to be able to develop the web. They do not need any knowledge about coding. They can carry out all the programming functions with little to no programming abilities and skills.
The no-code tools help in visually building a website. Digital assets are assembled by the developers without seeing the code. It is just that the codes need not be created by the developer, but the tools used have codes running in the background.
The advantage of no-code movement can be taken by the users who have no idea about the programming field but wants to build something online. The gap between the demand for websites or applications and limited engineering resources has been reduced with the no-code tools.
No-code movement is not just a virtue of web designing. It is also present in various other industries. With no-code tools users can now use Zapier to connect multiple applications, Airtable for creating databases, Ada for developing Artificial Intelligence chatbot, Voximplant for implementing cloud contact centers, and the list goes on.
What are the advantages of no-code tools?
- Launches faster:- The website or web application can be launched faster since there are no long procedures of coding to do before developing a website or app. For example, if a company decides to launch its website, they do not have to spend a lot of time developing its business website, instead, it can invest its time in marketing, design, and other things to build its assets.
- Better tools: – No-code movement allows functional teams for building and maintaining their own tools. This functional team includes marketing, sales, and HR operations. The functional team would know better about anything related to their company than an outsider web developing company.
- Less expensive: – Since companies can themselves develop a web, there is no requirement of hiring an external team to do it for them. In a no-code movement, external engineering resources are also not needed, and hence the company can save the money which is normally spent on them.
- Easier testing: – The company can themselves test their ideas more freely which is not possible when they hire an external company. They can build and modify tools, websites, apps, and other assets. They can change the design according to the new trends in the market when new insights are discovered, without having to seek somebody’s help.
- Ownership over the asset: – Companies can now use their own assets instead of having to hire an external web development company. They do not have to rely on technical partners and agencies anymore. By owning these assets, they can experiment with various techniques and bring out unique designs and elements which no one has brought out.
What is the significance of web development?
With every business trying to mark its way to a digital platform, a well-designed website is everybody’s dream. A properly functioning website is a great factor in a company’s success. Websites can be used to create more engagements and conversions. Through well-made websites, loyal customers are made.
What more do you want to know about web development? Please let us know through the comments below.
Also, read articles on Cryptocurrency, Google Street View, Digital Agency, WooCommerce, Visual Identity, Google AdWords, Logo Design, Google Ads, Motion Design, Mobile Development, Leaflet, Big Data, Google, Data Analytics, WordPress, Google Adsense, SEO